Saturday, August 14, 2010

Muscadines


Muscadines
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

After weeding, watering, and clipping seedheads yesterday, I walked to the edges of the woodland to find that the muscadines are ripening! They're wonderful colors of pink, purple, russet and green and hide behind those variously-sized, heart-shaped leaves. I stood under those vines I could reach and nibbled a few of the ripest ones ... and took photos of the others. We made preserves from our harvest last year... we'll see how much time we've got to do that again this season.

We began dehydrating more fruit -- from tomatoes to bananas to mangoes..... and today, once those are dry enough, we'll fill the dehydrator with sweet smelling nectarines. YUM. I feel like the busy ant in the story of the ant and the grasshopper -- I'm laying in stores for the winter while the world seems to be playing during the remaining days of summer! LOL

I'm also preparing for an exhibit this September -- actually 3 of them - at the library in the town where I work. I'll have wall space for my watercolors, a large display case for the altered books I've created years ago (http://www.picturetrail.com/linfrye), and the Arboretum will have a display case for its upcoming events -- an entire month! WOO WHOO!! So today, we're off for more frames and mats --- including one for my son's marsh scene that he has patiently been waiting for!

It's still incredibly hot and rain threatens every once in a while .. I wish it would give us a good soaking!!

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Beautiful colors and beautifully rendered Lin. Your grapes paintings are always so lovely and this is the best one yet.

Whew, you are the busy bee, preparing the harvest for the long winter months.

And Big Congratulations on your upcoming show at the Library. Around here if you have a show at the library, you have "arrived" as an artist. Take lots of photos to post. You are so creative in so many ways and you deserve this showing to the public! Good on you!!!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Oh my goodness Lin, this is GORGEOUS!!!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Wow you are busy... makes me tired just reading for to-do list... I love muscadines, and your painting brings back fond memories of the vines in our yard when I was a little girl. Good luck with your show, your watercolors are fabulous. We've gotten some much needed rain today here in Charleston.

annie said...

These are so striking, Lin. All the colors of the grapes and the shading of the leaves. One of my favorites of what you've shown.
annie