Sunday, November 28, 2010

View from Sunken Meadows Beach Park

Daily Practice
Journal Size

Brrrr...... It's cold enough this morning to have frozen the kitties' water outdoors ... Brrrr indeed!

We spent a relaxing day yesterday catching up on chores, picking up a few things here and there including the deer one of my students got for me before the holidays, making some rosemary tea bread for my workshops next week, drying more persimmons, and spending a good amount of time painting. Oh how I had missed that quiet time at the art table! Creating art has become so much a part of my daily habits and quite truthfully, daily needs....

This is a view from the end of the boardwalk from Sunken Meadow Beach Park on Long Island. We walked the boardwalk and around through parts of the woodlands Thanksgiving morning ... covering over 3.5 miles. Though it was cold, we managed to enjoy the sunrise and those wonderful images of sand dunes, snow fences, the 'cliffs' (which we walked earlier that week). Funny - I had been painting marshes and beach scenes the last couple of weeks (I haven't posted those yet) ... and I had been telling C most of the summer that I had wanted to visit the beach. Little did I know that the beach would be in New York! LOL But we got there - and oh how much I enjoyed the walking and the scenery -- as well as my sisters' company!

The view from my home has changed so much in a week. Empty tree branches rise to the cooling sun and when the sun makes it over the woodlands, there are no leaves to disperse the brightness. And yet even with the sun's full shine through my window, the 'heat' of it is gone, and I am left merely with its glow. The cold has arrived ....

Stay warm today!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh this is gorgeous and brings back so many memories of New England for me. Snow fences on the beach -- yes, it still boggles the mind!!

I love the colors in your hills, the deep blue of the water (looks cold as I'm sure it was) and the grasses on the shore. Your snow fence is truly the extra touch that makes it a very special painting. BRAVO!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

A beautiful view indeed Lin and just wonderfully painted.

Joan said...

Boy does this scene look familiar!!! I've painted that exact spot. The beach at Sunken Meadow is so great. Wonderful job on the dunes, grasses, cliffs, and beach fences!!! I'm so glad you got your trip to the beach finally. I haven't been over there in a while...today would have been perfect for it since it was mild and not windy. Maybe I'll luck out during the week and get there...and think of you.

Enjoy the peace and quiet before you go back to work.

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Great beach scene Lin... just fabulous...