Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Abstract Mountainside


Abstract Mountainside
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

I've been thinking a lot lately about texture and how those various spontaneous marks often 'paint' a picture. This abstract started with nothing more in mind than creating some different marks on the paper and trying to get a bit more texture into the work.

I started by sprinkling the paper with water, then tossing in different colors - making sure that the paint I tossed in was rather thick. I moved the paper around, spitzed it with alcohol, placed some wax paper in the background for some mountains, and added scrunched syran wrap to the center of the painting. I added some salt, dribbled some water, splattered more paint - then let it dry.

When I removed all the texturizing pieces, I added some negative highlights to give the texture a bit of form. Then, as the painting emerged as mountains, sky, sun, I added the tree to give a bit of reality to the piece.

It was fun ... and a good way to help break that constant question "what will I paint today?"

Off to work -- hope you have a great week! Keep your brushes wet!

4 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Beautiful... it looks like it was a fun painting to do..

Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness -- I love love love LOVE it. And I'm so glad you explained exactly how you achieved that incredible painting. I love looking at it over and over trying to see what you did where. I love the colors, the texture and the tree in the front. WOW. A and grand finale to our long weekend which I know was filled to the max with non-painting things!! BRAVO. You continue to amaze me!!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Thanks for the method you used here because it is a gorgeous painting and now I know how you did it.

Joan said...

Love the grapes below!!!

This is lovely!!! I love the wonderful textures. I alway forget about Saran wrap!!! Thanks for reminding me. It amazes me that you were able to change a wonderful abstract into such a great landscape. Good going!!!

We hare having rain today, so no plein air painting for me. lol I hope it doesn't ice up!