Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Beaches On My Mind


Beaches On My Mind
Originally uploaded by linfrye
9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

The weather is truly crazy this year ... this morning our temps are in the high 40s, but yesterday, we reached 80F!!!! We'll see-saw through the week with similiar temperature fluctuations.

When I drove south toward work yesterday morning, I was amazed at how swiftly spring had arrived. ALL the trees had broken bud, and the landscape was filled with the hazy magentas, oranges, lime green of tiny tree flowers. Forsythia, plum and cherry trees, quince, daffodils -- all in full bloom ... my gracious!!!

But the HOT weather has me dreaming of beachtime ... of spending days on white sandy beaches, walking the waterline, picking up shells, sketching with leisure ... ahh ...... at the rate of warm weather moving into our area, these days may not be so far away.

What this all equates to, though, is the mad-dash we face at the Arboretum. With spring, all our display gardens need refreshing, pruning, plants divided, new plants in the ground; plants in the greenhouse need to be bumped up, the root crops have to be in the ground for the hungry, etc., etc., etc. Spring means racing for us ... and right now, we're in the throes of it.

But as I dash from 'must' to 'must' .. my mind goes back to warm, sandy beaches ... and wishing I were there!!! LOL

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

The beaches on your mind are gorgeous Lin. I especially like the play of the water against the sky and the play of the dark rocks against the beach grasses. Light and dark, hard and soft -- lovely contrasts. And those rocks rock!!

We too are cleaning up here in the state after a couple of tornadoes, flooding, winds, rain and plummeting temps. Ah Spring!!
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Timaree said...

Pretty picture. I saw a tree in full blossom on my way into town. Since then it has snowed twice and gotten down into the 20's at night.

Teri said...

I love your dream of beaches, so BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Joan said...

Your painting makes me yearn for a trip to the beach!!! Nice job on the beach grasses and the color.

I hope spring is finally on it's way...we have no sign of it yet, but I keep hoping. Have a great day!

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful beach scene Lin. I will be happy when I see the crocuses. Summer seems so far away, thank you for this beautiful painting of whats to come.

Sandy said...

Lin, I'm with you, bring on the warm sandy beaches - beautifully portrayed