Sunday, March 06, 2011

Landscape in Contrasts

Landscape in Contrasts by linfrye
Landscape in Contrasts a photo by linfrye on Flickr.
1/8 sheet
Arches 140#CP

My weekend has been filled with workshop classes and I haven't had much time to paint .... This simple landscape, done in a VERY limited palette was my attempt to work quickly and with contrasts.

The class I'm taking has been going on for several weeks, but I only learned about it recently. It's on Wet Canvas and some of the information can be found here (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522). It's presented by Johannes Vloothuis - an exceptional landscape painter. Though the forum for most of the landscape painting forum is based on oil painting, the PRINCIPLES Johannes presents are applicable to ALL media. The classes are chock full of information - and to be sure, a LOT to absorb!

I must also mention one of the books Johannes so highly recommends (and I couldn't agree more) by one of our Flickr friends - Carl Purcell (rock4art) - "Painting with your Artist's Brain." Carl eloquently makes so many of the principles clear and concise and applies them in examples that are incredible works of art.

The rain hasn't gotten here yet, but we did get our new raspberry plants in the ground yesterday ... I'm off to do homework! Have a great Sunday!

5 comments:

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

Beautiful contrasting colors Lin... I'm in awe that you didn't create mud where they touched each other... and so the picture POPS.

Lorraine said...

WOW; gorgeous. One of my favorite contrasting combinations. I love the colors and the way you have the trees reflecting in the water. Sounds like a great class and that you "got it" immediately. Ah, it always looks so easy when you do it, but I know you put a lot of hard work into it.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Timaree said...

Definitely contrasting colors! I couldn't follow the link addies you gave but I found Carl Purcell's website so am off to see what's there. Thanks.

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Wow Lin, Beautiful colors and I totally agree with Capt. Elaine. Painting compliments can easily turn to mud, but not here. Really well done.

Teri said...

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!! Love those contrasts!!!