Friday, March 11, 2011

Oxford's Summer Harvest

Oxford's Summer Harvest  by linfrye
Oxford's Summer Harvest a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

Each time I go by the farm down the road, I watch the movement of their haybales. This ipainting is from one of my views last summer when the stockpile of bales was resting in the barn and in the field nearby.

Today this field is empty and the barn half-filled as the cows have consumed a majority of the hay. The fields across the road from the barn are already turning lime green with new growth as the cycle of haying begins again.

The heaviest of winds spared us yesterday and the welcome rain was more gentle on the trees and land - giving everything a much needed, good soaking. We're in for a warm, sunny weekend - and I've got to get outdoors and begin corralling the weeds as they, like the spring blossoms, take advantage of the longer days of sunshine and warmer temperatures.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Good Morning Lin,

Just having my coffee. Love the barn scene, it's lovely.

Have a great day

Joan said...

There is something about seeing hay bales in the field that makes me smile! Thanks for providing that smile this morning with this lovely scene!

I will be thinking of you as we quickly pass through NC this weekend in route to our workshop...wihs we had time to visit. Enjoy your day! I'll be checking in from time to time while I'm gone.

Katiejane said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog from visiting "Teri's Painted Daiseys" and I have to tell you how much I enjoy your paintings. I am an ameteur watercolorist and I find your work very inspiring. I will be a regular here, for sure.

Lorraine said...

I really love all the country scenes you've done with the rolled hay bales but I think this one is your best yet. I love the way you have them featured in the front of the painting leading my eye up and around and through the rest of the painting. The colors are superb; love the details. A perfect scene!
Big hugs,
Lorraine