Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dilapidated Barn and Hay - Oxford, NC

Half Sheet
Arches 140#CP

The hay season is still going on and finding old barns and hayfields is a hobby I enjoy as often as I can.

Charles and I found this old barn when we were photographing the 'yellow' fields earlier this spring. The owner of the property came by to see if we needed any help or had car trouble (we were stopped at the edge of the highway), and I told the owner that I admired her farm and was taking photographs to use for some paintings. C and I were then invited to join her and her husband for a 'horse-drawn wagon' tour of their property and the adjacent properties of their relatives.

We spent an incredible 90 minutes on the 'back side' of the farms - through the woods, over creeks and bridges, a cabin without electricity and on the grounds since the property was occupied, and more. And all the while, my camera was in action! What a joy -- and what a delightful, fabulous couple! We've been back to their farm for more photos and they've been by our home for some of Charles' music.

This barn was one of many on their property. The hayfields (and basic arrangement of the hay) was in another field, but I combined the two for this painting.

I sent our new friends several greeting cards using this painting to thank them for their wonderful hospitality.

We're off to see another lavender garden with Arboretum guests today .... Hope you have a great week!

5 comments:

Teri said...

What a wonderful experience and beautiful painting!

Joan Tavolott said...

Lovely job on this! How nice of them to share their property so graciously!!!

Have a great day.

maria said...

a wonderful, fascinating picture lin, I'm excited about this grand workthat is very big cinema! especially the little "bright lights" give the whole a splendid touch

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Lin, simply wonderful as usual. Looking forward to you next post.

All the best to you,
Joan

Lorraine said...

What a delightful story and a great way to make new friends. I especially love this painting of all your hay bale paintings. I love the slant of the land and the barn is superb! And of course I love those threes in the background. I would think everyone in Oxford would want to buy this painting!!!

Big hugs,
Lorraine