Friday, June 15, 2012

Poppies and Lace

Poppies and Lace by linfrye
Poppies and Lace, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

1/4 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

It seems poppies have captivated me this spring! I can't stop painting them! Even at the Lavender Farm we visited this week, I found more to photograph with the intention of painting them!!

These particular poppies were from the first lavender farm we visited this year. I combined them with the Queen Anne's Lace that in my own garden, is a foot taller than I am! We've had almost weekly rains, which has given the garden a large boost - and every time I come home from my workweek, I am astonished at the size, colors, NUMBERS of flowers that have graced my 'wild' flower garden! Blanket flowers, rudbekias, cone flowers, Queen Anne's Lace, butterfly bushes, roses -- everything but the poppies I planted!! SIGH!!!

It's been another intense week at work -- and with merely two remaining weeks before retirement, the intensity is going to reach record frenzy! My watercolor classes (which I am teaching) are going very well and are such fun! We're using the flowers at the Arboretum to learn flower structure and then learn how to paint the flowers we choose. Our trips have been so well attended, we are now up to two full vans for the rest of the trips this month! And the Lavender farm we visited THIS week - was incredible!!! Great company, awesome gardens, fabulous food, and terrific friendships! When I retire, I'll join these groups -- but this time, I'll be merely a passenger! And our volunteers have been harvesting vegetables like crazy -- 93 pounds of food donated yesterday alone! WOW!

This weekend too is busy. I'm working on several drafts for a comission, I have some sketching to do to prepare for my watercolor students, we've Father's Day to celebrate, and to begin finding places for all my things I'm finally bringing home from out of town.

I hope your weekend is fabulous -- and a most JOYOUS AND APPRECIATIVE HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads, uncles, brothers, cousins, fathers, step-fathers, grand-fathers, and family members who serve as fathers!

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

5 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh this is so delicate and lovely -- like fine china! I love the airy feel to it and the soft colors. A beautiful composition. I am so enjoying your poppy period artist Lin Frye!

Big hugs and good luck this weekend.
Lorraine

maria said...

9zart und fein, ein leichtes schwingen in der luft, die bewegung so grazil.....ach herrje lin, ich bin verliebt in mohn und natürlich in dein bild
lieben gruß maria

Joan Tavolott said...

These look like they are dancing!!! Lovely job on the poppies. I get exhausted just reading about what you are doing. lol Have a wonderful weekend and wish Charles a Happy Father's Day for me.

Teri said...

Such gorgeous colors!!!!!! I'm happy you can't stop.

Barb said...

Oh, luv the "soft" colors, such eye candy.
Thanks for sharing.