Monday, September 10, 2012

Fall Grapes

Fall Grapes by linfrye
Fall Grapes, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

Oh the glorious cooler weather that was promised --- really did come today!!! When I went for my morning walk at 7:30 am, I needed long sleeves and slacks!! WOW!! And later, even when the sun burned off the fog, temps just managed to reach 80F!!! Absolutely wonderful -- temperatures, skies, breezes -- our first fall morning!

So fitting then, to post this painting. I worked on this when I was visiting Doris, modifying a technique learned from Karlyn Holman ... such fun!

Here in piedmont NC, hidden under 'just turning color' leaves, grapes are ripe. I pick some each morning that I walk, their sweet/tart taste thirst quenching and marvelous. The road crews went through the area cutting back tree limbs to prepare for hurricane season, so many of the grape vines that were laden with fruit have, unfortunately, been cut -- but here and there I can find a handful to enjoy and encourage me to 'keep walking!' lol

Here's to fall temperatures and weeks of wonderful blue skies, puffy clouds and leaves on their way to brilliant!

4 comments:

Lise Steenerson said...

I absolutely love this painting Lin!!!

Lorraine said...

Oh my goodness those glorious leaves -- the way you multi-colored them. The whole painting is a colorful joy to behold. I love the way you "framed" the painting. This is one of your best and it's difficult to say that because all your paintings are so gorgeous and so well done.

Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

The grapes are lovely but the leaves are awesome!!! Yes, there was a bit of a chill in the air today, but by the time we were painting at the Arboretum today it was warm in the sun.

cindyzlogic said...

SO gorgeous!! I absolutely love the leaves!!