Saturday, September 08, 2012

Fall Leaves

Fall Leaves by linfrye
Fall Leaves, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10 1/4" x 14" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

We've one more hot and humid day to endure before the temperatures are supposed to change dramatically and those of us in the piedmont of North Carolina will have a cool spell that will herald the beginning of fall. I hope so. After enjoying temps in the 80s with Doris, coming back to 95F and equally high humidity definitely saps one's spirit as well as body!

This painting was done while visiting Doris - both of us enjoying the sunshine and glorious temperatures. We focused on fall leaves, but wanted to keep a 'soft' approach as opposed to fall's typically brilliant colors. I concentrated more autumnal colors in the background so that the lighter leaves would 'play' against the more traditional fall hues.

The week was busy hanging different shows, beginning to teach a few watercolor classes, and making a bit of headway with my runaway garden. I have about 1/3 of the front area cut back and seeds collected, and I'm just waiting for the 'cool-down' to tackle the rest.

I've also been collecting the last of the tomatoes and the last of the figs -- and I'm delighted that there's some of both left to harvest. I've also found a few ripened grapes along the woodland edges -- yummy -- little orbs or deliciously unexpected treats.

We're off to the farmer's market to see what good things we can carry home for weekend meals. Hope your weekend is wonderful!

3 comments:

Teri said...

This is so beautifully different than 'normal' autumn leaves! You are one busy lady Lin. Good think you are retired. Oh, wait, you were busy then also. lol

Lorraine said...

Oh so gorgeous and different. I love the splashes and splatters in the background and the way you put in softer lighter colors in front for the beginning of fall. Reminds me when I was WAY up in the Rockies in the midst of the fall peak of the Aspen trees' various yellows. All yellow foliage. Your painting makes me think of that in a whole new way. All I could think then was: where are the reds and oranges???

We had our first fall weather day today and I only got a whiff or two as I opened and closed the door but it seemed wonderful.

Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

I'm trying to catch up on everything after being in CA for a few days for a wedding. This is lovely...a definite reminder of the cool weather to come.