Monday, September 03, 2012

Linz

Linz by linfrye
Linz, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

10" x 14" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

During my stay with Doris, we had to make a quick trip to Cologne ... such a beautiful city! On the way back, Doris found a small, picturesque village - Linz - where we would stop, explore and sketch.

Oh did I fall in love with this place!! Flowers everywhere - a central town sqare so pedestrian friendly - with fountains, shops, restaurants, cobblestones -- all the things of dreams! We even saw a 'band' with figures that would play music - faces and arms and eyebrows moving with expressions that had me laughing out loud.

We sat on one of the benches to sketch these two BEAUTIFUL buildings ... and then later in the week decided to turn them into paintings.

I modified my attempt quite a bit, moving the pink building out of the street and trying to give this a feel of a vignette. It was a challenge for me to paint with all the lines and wooden designs .. but I sure loved painting the flowers!!! LOL But I did learn a lot ...

We celebrate our Labor Day holiday today so it'll be more of a day to relax than 'labor' ... though I have begun tackling the garden. I've already collected a five pound bucket of purple cone flower seeds and that was only from from one bed!

I deliver paintings this week to two different exhibits so we spent most of yesterday matting and framing. I'm grateful for all the painting Doris and I did -- sure helped with some new additions to the exhibits as well as marvelous memories.

Hope you have a great holiday!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

Incredible Lin. How you have expanded your range with this trip. I love the buildings and the colors. And the way you set the pink building back and made the other one(s) more prominent. BRAVO.

We've been having the edges of Isaac here and will all week but we need the rain. Just hope the folks in lower lying areas do not have flooding.

Can't wait to see more of your wonderful work from your trip up close and personal in your blog. It's a joy each day to see what new creation you have for us.
Big hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice plein air! The German buildings aren't easy to paint with their wood trim, but the flowers really make them pop. I am enjoying seeing your work from the trip!

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Teri said...

This is really awesome Lin!!! Love it.