Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Long Barn - Oxford, NC

The Long Barn - Oxford, NC by linfrye
The Long Barn - Oxford, NC, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

12" x 28" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

This 'long barn' is located less than a mile from my home. I pass it daily -- and wanted to paint it for a long time. It took learning to use my 'stitch assistant' on my camera in order to capture it all ....
I painted this last month - just before I left to see Doris. With the trips I took in August and all the paintings we did together, I haven't had time to post it! LOL

Those haybales are still there and another haying season is getting underway. The farmer who owns this barn also rolls those hay bales that I LOVE to paint. I truly believe he rolls the prettiest bales around!

I entered this painting into a local competition - and the reception to announce the winners will be tomorrow night. We framed this long and narrow, and while I don't expect to win, it'll be fun to see all the entries and to have my work displayed at the Clayton Center for the month.

Here's the information; come join us if you can!

The announcement will come at a meet-the-artists reception honoring all those who entered. Two $750 awards will be presented. They are the Margaret Ritchie Award of Excellence for fine arts and the Award of Excellence for photography. In addition, three $100 Judges' Choice awards will be presented. Lastly, people attending the reception will be invited to vote for their favorite work in the show, and this winner will receive the People's Choice award of $25. Forty entries have been received already, and 23 are from Clayton artists. Clayton Visual Arts, which stages the $1,825 competition, expects to receive 50 or more entries. Media include oil, acrylic, watercolor, pen and ink, colored pencil, mixed media, and photography.

A meet-the-artists reception to honor all artists who entered the Art Faire competition will be held Thursday, Sept. 13, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Clayton Center, 111 E. 2nd St., Clayton. Light refreshments will be served--cookies, finger sandwiches, fruit, cheese, nuts, wine and punch. It is free and open to everyone. Children are invited, too. Dress is casual.

Hope to see you there!

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

This is wonderful!!! I love the long horizontal format for this and the depth in the shadowed areas of the barn. It deserves a prize.

Lorraine said...

Oh this painting is excellent. I can't imagine it NOT winning one of the prizes. What wonderful detail and I love the long format. You continually amaze me with your versatility Lin.

Good luck and I wish I could be there with you.

Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Gorgeous and a winner for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

This is great. I've never seen a painting as beautiful as this one. I love this. Thanks for sharing this. God bless you.

sticker printing