Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Pond in Fall

The Pond in Fall by linfrye ..
The Pond in Fall, a photo by linfrye .. on Flickr.

1/8 Sheet
Arches 140#CP

Already the light is changing in the late August sky. I've spotted dogwoods already kissed with a red blush, tulip trees have begun dropping their leaves, and the emerald green of summer is fading to tarnish. My ornamental grasses have developed their plumage, and the figs are almost gone. School has begun in earnest, and the last horrah of summer is ahead this weekend.

I LOVE the fall - with its harvests and ripening, colors and berries, seeds and apples, campfires and holidays. Though our summer this year, feeling shortened by cool temperatures and rain, has been incredibly pleasant, I am eager for the fall and all the culmination it represents.

This painting was done in preparation of a larger work and the use of a few new paint colors. I'm already collecting leaves for fal projects and hunting for berries. There are a few apple festivals coming up, the State Fair, and other joyous events.

I'm making preparations -- how about you?

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

+Oh I love the colors in this. Your experiments are such a gift to us all. I can feel the warmth at that scene -- the last hot days of summer though the foliage is beginning to have the glow that you so beautifully depict. Fall is my favorite time of year too and I am looking forward to it although we have had a nice summer all told.

Ah yes, the first apples of the season have been arriving at the farmers markets this past month and I love the sharp juicy tang of them but the tomatoes are becoming rare and not quite so juicy.

Thank you for the glorious look at early fall -- it just glows!!!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan Tavolott said...

Beautiful golden colors, Lin!!! I am still trying to hold on to summer. Hopefully we will have some nice weather when you are on LI.

Lise Steenerson said...

Love love love!!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lin - you have caught the fall colors so well in this piece. It is wonderfully warm and inviting. I too love fall. I think it holds so much eye candy that is is hard to take it all in. Have a lovely week-end. As always thanks for sharing your lovely art.