Saturday, September 21, 2013

Orange Leaves of Fall

Orange Leaves of Fall by linfrye ..
Orange Leaves of Fall, a photo by linfrye .. on Flickr.

12" x 16"
Arches 140#CP

WELCOME TO FALL!!

The weather in New York has been incredibly fall-like --- warm, pleasant days, blue skies, and cool crisp evenings.

Leaf color is changing slowly here - but already the berries are formed and turning colors, seedpods are drying and the reds of sumac are showing themselves. I picked some bittersweet for our table- yellowed berried and golden leaves. By morning, the pods had opened to reveal bright red capsules.

Mom has had a good week and it's been a joy to spend time with her doing the things my sisters do daily for her care. I had a couple of days to visit with my sisters - and that too was marvelous.

The time, though, always flies, and it will be good to get home again and resume my life there. With loved ones scattered across the country, though, it often feels like bits of my heart are left here and there and only truly united when all of us can all be together.

Used to be when I was younger and more foolish, I wished for things ... but now, older and I hope more wise, I wish for TIME -- the only thing we can't save, borrow, or hang onto.

It truly makes that saying 'Live each day to its fullest' even more urgent.

5 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Lovely!!! I'm so glad you had such a good visit. We even had the weather cooperate for you. It was great seeing you and spending some time together. We will definitely have to do it again soon. I hope your trip home was good.

Lise Steenerson said...

I love fall.... you captured it beautifully

Debbie Nolan said...

Lin - so beautiful...looks like autumn has come to your part of the world. Glad you got to spend time with your Mom and sisters...such a great observation about time. It is the most important blessing of all. Thank you dear for sharing. I love your leaves. Have a great day.

Maree Clarkson said...

Absolutely beautiful colours Lin! Our Spring here in South Africa was so short-lived we've gone straight into summer!

Lorraine said...

OMG the glorious colors and perfection in those leaves. WOW. Definitely a candidate for next year's calendar (if it's not too late). Fall is my absolute favorite time of year -- the colors -- oh the colors -- especially against the evergreens on the side of a mountain.

I have tp agree that Time is what has grown to be the most important gift one can have -- quality time, time to do the things we love and spend with people we care about. I have become a real hoarder about time spent which doesn't feed my soul (but that doesn't get the dishes done, does it!!).

Hugs and love and thank you for the gorgeous painting. We too are seeing bits of color but still in the very early stages.
Lorraine