Saturday, January 21, 2006

Another Interior


After my 3 hour travel and conference, my dh and I met midway home to have a quiet dinner at our old haunt, The Bamboo House. When we lived closer to the city, we used to eat at this restaurant almost weekly. With our move to the woods, we get there only several times a year.

It was a nice dinner; restorative after our hectic week! I sketched the interior of the restaurant I could see from our seat along the wall. I was testing the Speedball Crow Pen over pencil sketch. I LOVED the fine lines I could get from the pen, but since this was early testing on this paper, I was displeased with the blobs! Those eventually disappeared after more pen use.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lin; I love your restaurant sketch! What did you use to add colour - ink or watercolour? I don't know if I would have the courage to draw in a restaurant. The café sketch I di in Italy, I was sitting near the back wall, so very few people came by. I guess it's just practise..

Kathleen Pequignot said...

Every pen and ink artist is different when it comes to whether blobs are good or bad. I just finished reading a pen and ink book where the author/artist actually liked blobs, which he said added texture and interest and weren't worth worrying over. Of course, the title of the book escapes me now, but I love the sketchy look of his style, so I was right there with him, loving the blobs.

I tend to be a bit out of control with all my lines going every which way anyhow--sketching way to fast most of the time... well, all this to say, I love your experiment with the Quill. And yes, you just can't ever have enough pen nibs, ink, or holders. LOL Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I know you must have loved making this drawing. You've really got a good sense of recessive space here. Great job, Lin!

Terri said...

Laura's right Lin, you did a great job with this. I can imagine myself sitting there and seeing those booths in front of me. Well done. :o)

no one said...

great job I really love the quality of the lines. and you are much braver than I to sketch in public I guess that's the next thing I'll work on