Thursday, January 26, 2006

INK


The conversation on the Everyday Matters group this week concerned the differences between sketching with pencil and sketching with ink.

I have to admit that my 'comfort zone' is DEFINITELY pencil. I say this not simply because sketching in pencil allows erasing (which I believe I REALLY NEED! LOL), but I also enjoy the various shadings I can create from graphite. As someone new to sketching, the flexibility afforded me with one simple tool is amazing, and though I have a long way to go to MASTER shadings in pencil and graphite, I've gotten comfortable with this simple tool.

That said, I have noticed of late that my sketching with pencil and having that handy eraser SO CLOSE has made me a bit sloppy ... I've begun sketching what's in my MIND and NOT was is in front of my eyes. SIGH.

So, to stop a bad habit from forming, I picked up my Vision Elite pen and sketched the vase of winter flowers that were on the table at the B&B. (The B&B owner has a fantastic garden and landscaping and there is ALWAYS something abloom. Pictured here are some Breath of Spring and Butchers Broom flower stalks. So cheerful! BTW, I think 'Butchers Broom' must be a locally known common name for this flower as I couldn't find its Latin name.)

I really liked the way the pen and ink turned out ... but was asked to add some color by the owner. Since she's the one who ALWAYS offers me a cup of tea no matter how late I come in, I decided to add the color. She loved it!

9 comments:

Donn said...

Lin,
I like it! You did a great job. Did you use watercolors or watercolor pencil? If w/c, what brand do you use?
Yes, pencil, you can erase. But with ink, you can still make your mistakes less noticable by shading.
Donn

Penny said...

This is lovely!!

Terri said...

Lin!! I think you've taken a huge step forward with this. Persevere with the pen - it really helped me make some big advances. I'm really glad you added the colour too as it really adds another dimension. The whole pieces is lovely. Well done my friend. :o)

Bonny said...

Lin, this is a beautiful drawing! I also would like to know what medium you used for colouring...w/c or w/c pencils? The whole drawing shouts "Spring is coming!"...although judging the wind chill outside just now, I'm not so sure...

Anonymous said...

Lin I love it too. You are very inspiring.
Bonnie

Lindsay said...

Lin, I too love to draw in pencil. The media just feel right to me sliding across the page. But I do work in ink directly sometimes too.
You did a lovely job

Teri C said...

Lin, this is a beauty! You better keep that pen handy.

Kate said...

Very good observations on your own habits, Lin, AND a very, very nice drawing! YAY!

vicki said...

Hi lin, great drawing. I like for my mistakes to show, as evidence of the process I guess. I really like this rendering it has a very personal feel to it.