Monday, February 27, 2006

EDM #56 Self Portrait



The Everyday Matters Group has set this week's challenge as a 'self portrait.' OH MY GOSH! I've tried this before with horrible results.

The chatter on the list was about the difficulty of this challenge, which it definitely is. But undeterred (or just plain INSANE) I decided to ATTEMPT yet another portrait of me. SIGH.

To add to the challenge, I'm away from home and sans scanner and leaving to visit my sisters and Mom and thus will be away from a scanner until AFTER the week's challenge.

So, I decided, what the heck -- SOMEONE has to be risky -- maybe if I got this posted, everyone could have a good laugh and realize that their portraits couldn't be worse, and maybe we'd all do several of these and get better at it.

So here it is, in all it's simplicity and error ... and a pix of me to compare. Remember, I only have a camera to take a photo, it's dead dark outside, and I promise to attempt more of these to improve.

And hey, someone's gotta be brave!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lin; your entry is a Hoot!!! You are so funny! What a great sense of humour. And just for the record, I like your self-portrait! I don't think I could do half as well...

Terri said...

Yay!!! Well done Lin. I'm very proud of you - you are SO couragous. :o) Self-portraits are NOT easy. Do you remember the scary one I did a while ago. LOL. One thing I did notice which telling you about might help next time (ha...this from a person with a fear of drawing heads and faces!!), the distance between the eyes is the same as the length of one of your eyes. In fact you can fit five eye widths across your face - one one either side of your eyes, your eyes and the space between. Knowing little things like this really help. I'm going to give this EDMs challenge a go too considering faces are my current major drawing challenge.

Teri said...

To my heroine....you are sooooooooo brave! I am encouraged to try mine too, only you have to promise not to laugh at mine the way I'm not laughing at yours. teehee

Linda said...

Way to go, Lin! I believe you DO get an award for being bravest for being first man out in the self portrait challenge! :-) This is great -- it has TONS of personality! Yay!

Julie Oakley said...

Well done Lin. How fascinating to see what you really look like. The happy person I imagined but I had this blurry picture in my mind's eye of someone who wasn't as slim as you evidently are. Now how can someone's words convey a picture of what you think they look like?

Marilyn said...

Great job, Lin. Quite a difference from the first to the second sketch. You are brave, girl! But leave it to you to encourage the rest of us.
Marilyn

Lindsay said...

So glad you are keeping at it. Portrature takes a long time to get. I have come sort of close one or 2 times but mostly my portrait stuff looks like nice strangers. I wonder if many portraits that are labled "woman" or "young man" started out as alikeness of someone but the artist diden't capture it so labled it "someone elas".hahahah