Thursday, February 16, 2006

From the Kitchen Garden


The one completed garden at the small arboretum I'm helping build is the herb and kitchen garden. Each season my students design, plan, grow, install, maintain and harvest the plants in that particular garden.

With today's warm weather, I sat on one of the benches and sketched. I was still not completely over my 'spell' and just couldn't capture the heads of cabbage or the kale plants in their entirety. Rather than frustrate myself, I settled instead on drawing some of the leaves of these plants: cabbage, flowering kale and red oakleaf lettuce. Our winter has been so very mild that these greens are still vibrant and ready for picking!

3 comments:

Terri said...

All they need is a bit of dressing! Yum. These are beautiful Lin. I think you did a fine job of them. :o)

Carole said...

Lin,
Such a good idea drawing the leaves. I think the top cabbage leaf is beautiful. The composition of the roses is lovely too.
I know what you mean about focus - I never want to draw or write when I'm stressed. Yet drawing would probably be the best thing for me!
Carole

Anonymous said...

You and I are nuts for this kind of thing ;D. I'm going to email you something similar I did in France last fall and you'll see what I mean!