Friday, February 03, 2006

A Rocky Day




In my sketching class with Kate Johnson, I was lamenting how unhappy I was with some of the rocks in my Eno River sketch. She suggested I find a solitary rock and focus on sketching that. I found a rock with some good shadows, but since I was dashing around running errands and meeting my son and daughter-in-law, I couldn't sketch the rock on location. I snapped a reference photo, then printed it in black and white to better SEE the values. I sketched it first in pencil, then fountain pen, then added a wash to the pen. I like these results better -- now I can only hope I remember the lessons I learned: DO NOT sketch each and every LINE in the rock; focus on the direction of the lines and aim those toward the shape of the rock portion, focus on the shadings and not each and every fissure, bump and what not. We'll see! LOL

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

The top one, which I'm assuming was the last try, is excellent. I just want to get to the point I 'see' what I see. Good job.

Carolyn A. Pappas said...

I think you're onto the right track here. Definitely make your individual stokes follow the contour of the object because that is the same way the light hits the object.