Sunday, February 12, 2006

Sketching What You Love


People, especially those I love like my husband, children and grandchildren, are the DICKENS for me to sketch. I put my pencil (NO PEN mind you -- no confidence there for this type of sketching!) to paper with such trepidation - not to fail at the sketch -- but the feeling that my poor renderings will INSULT those I wish to honor with a decent likeness.

So tonight, even though it's almost time for bed, I decided to sketch the fellow who's helped so much with the grands, with my son's move to his new home, my daughter's move, by grocery shopping and cooking dinner, and by ALWAYS smiling no matter what. Here he sits in his favorite recliner, teaching himself to play the mandolin and singing (he has a heavenly voice) "Remember When," which always makes me cry and reminds me of 'us.'

The sketch isn't the best in the world, but by TRYING to do it, I hope he knows that especially for Valentine's Day, he's my hero.

Thank you, Charles, for all you mean to me!

9 comments:

u l a n said...

this is so nice. :)

Terri said...

Isn't it nice to sketch our loved ones relaxing and just being themselves. You know I admire your fearlessness....you just get in there and do it. I think you are amazing!!

Penny said...

Your comments and sketch brought a trea to my eye!

Marilyn said...

Matters of the heart are difficult to draw - I have not attempted mine yet. Great job!
Marilyn

Linda said...

Wonderful job with this. It IS much more difficult to draw the people we know well and love -- their personality and all the things we know about them influence what we really see.
I love this one! :-)

Teri said...

Oh Lin, this is soooooo sweet. He looks so relaxed like you two were having a lovely evening together. Great feeling in this sketch!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, Lin. I feel a lot more pressure to 'get' my loved ones when I draw them than I do with strangers. And all the emotions surrounding them come into play, of course. But I love to sketch mine, for that reason----the drawings seem to say more. That is certainly true of your sketch of your Charles. Happy Valentine's day to you, you dear woman.

Cin said...

Lin, everything everyone has said already is so true, so glad you don't let fears stop you, you are wonderful!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Oh I love this. It really makes you smile. Lovely.