Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Blogging, Comments, Busyness


Bananas
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
I was driving to work this morning and thinking again about the conversations on the EDM group about busyness and internet addiction, blogging and time consumption, and I wanted to add a few thoughts.

My life is certainly a bit more intense and busier than I'd like BUT .... when I consider the questions under discussion: 'Why do you blog' "why do you comment on other people's blogs?" -- I want to answer that I do this for many reasons -- but mostly -- to encourage others ... and that's why I appreciate comments left on my blog.

As a true beginner in this watercolor/sketch journey (not quite 18 months now since I truly picked up a pencil to FINALLY take the time to learn to sketch) -- it were those very comments, encouraging remarks, that kept me trying to learn this skill --- over and over.

This morning, when I was reviewing the bananas below, the difference between the two was obvious -- even to me. And I know, sure as I am writing this, that there were many, many, many times when I looked at what I had sketched, at my slow progress, and wanted to throw my pencil and efforts out the window. But those words YOU left on my blog, taking time from YOUR own work, to encourage me, offer a glimmer of progress, a bit of improvement, a technique I should try .. well, for me ... THOSE very words kept me going when little else could have.

And so, if there is anything I have learned in this long life ... it's to pass it forward -- to pass it along ... and doing so is the only way I know to repay the countless generous folks for the encouragement they offered to me.

And so I will take the time to comment, blog, post ... so that someone else, who like me, is struggling, despairing, frustrated, or needing a friend .. well, then, by commenting and encouraging them, I feel I've helped repay those who took their time with me. It's my way of saying THANK YOU ...

And as if to confirm this, or in some cases when the Universe thinks one needs a good laugh, a woman left a message on my work phone this morning, asking me to help ENCOURAGE her son to take some of my classes so he too could continue on his horticultural journey ...

And while I believe in serendipity - this phone call coming after these thoughts were running in my mind seemed like such a confirmation .. and so, I just thought I'd pass them along -- to encourage you too.

15 comments:

Jane LaFazio said...

and you are one of the most encouraging blog commentors of all time! Thank you! I agree with you and believe that it is important to encourage everyone along on their creative paths. Keep it up!

jill said...

thanks for all your helpful comments and support to the group and to the individuals. giving each other that pat on the back or that bit of constructive criticism is what this group (and many others) is all about. it's great for developing more skill and more self-confidence, too!

love your work, too, and your improvement over the last 18 months is fantastic! i was looking at your blog yesterday and really noticed the difference in the products that you're putting out now!

Anonymous said...

Lin, you are so right. Thanks again for all you do as an artist to nourish art in others.

Anonymous said...

First of all, the bananas are amazing. So very well rendered -- i am going to plagiarize Teri C and say that you've really captured their banana-ness!!!
And about your comments -- your have been so supportive and enthusiastic, they have kept me smiling when i sometimes thought i was stagnating. Thank YOU, Lin.

Nina Johansson said...

And YOU are the most encouraging person of all, you sure know how to make people struggle on and feel good about it. Thank you!
And those bananas, I was amazed to see what progress you´re making! Way to go!

Cin said...

you have always been so generous with your comments and encouragement plus you are such a good model of "stick-to-itness" when it comes to learning from practice practice practice, many thanks Lin, I admire you so much for both.

Jana Bouc said...

I second and third what they all said. And I think as long as it's being good for you then it's a good thing. But I know we all want the best for you and would rather have you feeling good than get a comment on a day you need your rest.

Jules said...

Lin, as has already been said, your comments are always a great source of encouragement - so thank you for your generous thoughts when they are offered.
I love the banaqnas, by the way! (I can't write about bananas without thinking of the Beethoven joke: Ba-na-na-naaaaH!)(...er ... you have to hear it, really!...) Ju x

Terri said...

Those bananas are BRILLIANT Miss Lin. You are AMAZING. I am in awe of your ability to fit in so much into your life and to do it so well. Congratulations! Oh, and a big thank you too for continuing to support me even though my adventures in art have come to a bit of a grinding halt lately. LOL.

Claudia said...

Lin, these bananas are f a n t a s t i c !!!! They look like they were real! Keep up the good work...
Claudia

Anonymous said...

So well said, Lin!

The comments I have received on my (relatively new) sketchblog have been hugely encouraging and inspiring for me. I don't know many people in my life who are interested in my sketches, so sharing them online and getting responses is a real treat.

I am hugely grateful to the folks who have left me comments (including yourself!) and I try to pass it forward by leaving at least as many comments in the "sketchblogosphere" as I receive.

Yes it takes time, but that is what community is all about!

Anonymous said...

Very well put.
I struggle with the time spent on computer vs. actual drawing time. It has been a challenge, and yet you are right. The encouragement is one of the reasons that I made a jumpstart once again in my world of art.
I will remember this.
...and what an improvement in what you saw in the bananas the second go around.

Nel Jansen said...

Hey Lin:
Wonderful job on the bananas. I really like the way you've worked with the values to give them substance and weight. And you already know how I feel about your commenting routines, since you've got that EDM award! But I have to agree with Jana, take care of you first.

Lynn Alpert said...

I always feel I have to read all the digests I get, as well as checking the blogs of members of our group and I always feel that I am way behind on reading and looking, (and drawing) so I rarely comment. But I always am inspired by the wonderful art I see, and your post really hits home with how I feel about blogging...so I think I'll try to comment more because of the encourgement it gives me. Big difference on the bananas - great job!

Felicity Grace said...

Very well said Lin, and I owe you a huge thanks too! Your enthusiasm and your tenacity is a real inspiration for all! The bananas are absolutely super!