Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tree Practice


Tree Practice
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
Using a general 'non-specific tree type' outline, this is continued practice of watercolor methods. I'm afraid I added too much dark paint in too similiar areas, but the practice was really very helpful. I find thinking in negative shapes to be a most difficult method used in watercolor. I have to work my mind around what I am SEEING to imagine what I'm NOT seeing.

I'll be practicing MORE of these to be sure!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your tree. Why too much dark. I think it looks quite natural that way with the sun shining down on it from above. Beautiful

shirley said...

Lin,
I am so impressed that you are methodically working on these skills and as a complete beginner myself can only say I LOVE your tree.

Teri C said...

I love this tree Lin. I think it looks great as a winter tree.

Your roses are just gorgeous!!

Thomas Ecclestone said...

Ah... your last few posts have been such an improvement! More value, more contrast, very good!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous and full of character - beautifully done!!

Anonymous said...

I think a couple of little gaps in the green might help to suggest light going through the leaves? That coming from me, who can't even sketch trees, it was something I heard on a watercolor programme. I agree with Sioux, it has a very natural look.

Anonymous said...

Hey VERY nice tree! well done.