Friday, January 26, 2007

Tulip Value Application


Tulip Value Application
Originally uploaded by linfrye.
I've been paying more attention to values lately and trying to understand how important contrasts are in a painting. I've struggled (and still am) with dark values, for some reason! I remember for one of the EDM challenges, I did a sketch of a glass of water, moaning all the while the difficult time I had with the dark valued background. LOL

While I have so loved the various hues in the rose practice over the last day, the botanist in me was struggling mightily to find a way to create a flower painting using actual colors of the flower and yet include a good range of values -- including DARKS!

This simple tulip took me several hours to do -- using the techniques and methods I've been learning and adding many glazes to enrich the colors.

I mixed my paints (the dabs at the top of the page) in order to 'test' them for value range before adding them to the tulip. It took quite a while to get a deep enough red that I was happy with.

After styding the tulip this morning, there is still a predominance of mid-values -- I think I could have used this time instead of DARKS, more LIGHTS!! LOL

But it's closer to what I was seeing, and the rest I got last night was good, indeed!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beatiful Lin. How did you get your darkest red? More layers? Mix with complementary color? Or horror of horrors - add black? I use neutral tint (dark gray) all the time, but I keep reading how that changes the luminosity of watercolor paints. So much to learn.

Anonymous said...

This is wonderfully done Lin, what gorgeous colours. I have the same problem with getting colours right using pencil ... I can never get them dark enough somehow. It must be so much more difficult with watercolour. superb job!

Anonymous said...

Lin, What beautiful shades of red, you acheived a rich & lucious tulip. It's a wonderful study.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely Lin. Yes, value makes all the difference, it's what makes something look 3D. It sure does take more time, though.

Donn said...

It's a great study, Lin, and you have done an outstanding job with it. Nicely done. I like what you came up with. Lovely.

Rachel Murphree said...

Lin, you did a fantastic job. wow! The values really bring out the form of the flower. brava!

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for this study in value, I did a poinsettia and simply Could Not get the rich dark red I wanted, Obviously I need to do a simimar study with washes (and of course those ever important lights!) Your tulip is quite rich!
Sandy

Teri said...

It was well worth all your effort Lin, it is GORGEOUSLY rich and red.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Lin. I'm guessing this is watercolor. Pretty tricky to get those values. But you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this whole page, the color swatches add so much. We can see your process and your choices, which I always love.
Really, this is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you're saying about the darks. There's something daring and bold about putting down the darks, especially in watercolor since you can't easily change them. Doing this kind of study and practice is really worth the time it takes.

Anonymous said...

I can understand how painstaking it gets. The results though are worth it -- this is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Lin, the lushness of the red tulip is set off by the beautiful subtle green textured background -- lovely!

insomniac said...

i found your blog by chance as i was searching google for tulip sketches! LOVE your work.