Friday, April 17, 2009

Arboretum Iris


Arboretum Iris
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

Last year, the Arboretum received an incredibly generous gift of bulbs from Brent and Becky's Bulbs in Virginia. We planted over 1500 of them in our various gardens, and have been enjoying their magnificent display for the last few weeks.

Some of my favorites are the irises -- whites, yellows/golds, light blues to deep lavenders, and these, dark purple on the top, a hint of pink and white on the lower petals. They're almost as tall as I am (well, for me 3 1/2 feet is mighty tall!! especially for a plant! LOL), and as we go in and out of our office space and the sun is upon the blossoms, their white petals look like dinner plates edged in fine plum ... truly a lift to the spirits when we've been running like crazed magpies! LOL

One more day, a few more details .. then the plant sale. I'll be gone from before the dawn tomorrow to nightfall, so I hope to stay awake enough when I get home to sketch a bit. It'll be fabulous, though, watching artists painting some of the plants we've worked so hard to have shining at this special time.

I've brought home a few tomato plants to get into the ground on Sunday ... nights are still a bit cold these last few weeks, but the days are in the 60s and 70s and the pull of the sun to be outdoors is mighty strong ...!

3 comments:

Joan said...

Lin - This one is STUNNING!! I love the rich purples and the creases in the petals...well done!!! It must be wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty constantly at this time of year! I wouldn't know what to look at first. Good luck with the big day!!! Hope you aren't too exhausted at the end of the day.

Sandy said...

Oh My Lin - how your garden does grow!!

Teri said...

Fantastic iris Lin, just fantastic!!