Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rebecca's Flowers


Rebecca's Flowers
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

The irises at the Arboretum -- tall, strong, colorful -- are just opening -- and how I wish I could get outdoors to sketch them! Yellows, whites, pale blues, deep purples -- all of these are bursting their sheaths just in time for our local artists to come on Saturday to paint and our customers come to purchase plants.

But readying for this event keeps me tied to the greenhouse and indoors ... sigh.

I got to the B&B last night hoping that Rebecca had some irises in her kitchen bouquet. Unfortunately, the flowers on the table were rather droopy and blown. I asked her about them, and that wonderully generous woman suggested we walk her garden to pick a bouquet for me to paint!

Off we went selecting some bright red/purple iris, about-ready-to-bloom azaleas and some of the most incredibly fragrant daffodils I've ever inhaled. She quickly fixed them in the vase, and I was off to paint! This is the result .. and, gratefully, she liked it too! LOL

Rain has set it for the next few days making the final clean-up chores around the gardens impossible. I'll be in the greenhouse all day, repotting plants, organizing tables and the like, so I'll be scarce.

Meanwhile, stay day and warm! And keep an eye on those flowers!!!

3 comments:

Joan said...

Wonderful painting of the bouquet!!! I love the rich colors of the irises that you selectied. I can just imagine you indoors in the greenhouse, and all those glorious flowers in bloom outdoors just calling you.

Laure Ferlita said...

Such stunning colors and the complements just sing together! Beautiful work, Lin!

Anonymous said...

Oh this is your most beautiful flower painting yet and you've had some really gorgeous ones. I hope this one ends up on Zazzle (hint hint). Incredible!!!

Try to take it a little easy this week since you will be having such a hectic weekend.
Hugs,
Lorraine