Saturday, April 11, 2009

Satterwhite Point before the rain

Daily Practice
Plein Air

The day began with wonderful sun and warm temps. C and I packed up the car and headed to a lake about 35 miles from home that neither of us had been to in over 15 years ... (I know! I know! LOL). We drove around the area remarking about the changes. We disembarked several times as we watched fishermen and fisherladies on the lake being tossed about by the furious wind that seemed to beat us to the water.

We settled on a spot on the backside of the lake where the wind was kept at bay by the trees. C pacticed his guitar and I sketched the view before me -- deciding that I needed to hurry a bit in case that wind was going to catch up with us. I went straight in with the watercolor - keeping things simplified.

I loved this wee spot overlooking the lake. We were joined by several folks we 'tried' to fish .. but gave up after a while as the wind began changing direction and blowing more strongly.

After about 30 minutes, both C and I noticed that the clouds were darkening; and the wind, gusting more, was far cooler. When one gust came seemingly out of nowhere and blew my paints across the picnic table, we decided to pack up and head to the car.....just in time.

The rains came then, furious, cold and gusty. I was able to capture the majority of the changes in the lake in my sketchbook before we left -- I'll post those later.

Today looks like another beauty! I'm thinking we may head out again or work a bit in the garden. I really like this 'resting' thing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting to come out of such a Brrr day. Glad to hear you got to visit a favorite old place. We had lots of rain, tornadoes and hail in KY on Friday. Whew, the other side of spring!!

Teresa said...

You captured that "just before the rain" look and feel perfectly! Wonderful job, Lin!

Have a good week.... long time, no see :-(

Joan said...

I love the contrast between this one and the one at the top...what a difference the weather makes.