Sunday, June 07, 2009

Lamp and Overlook


Lamp and Overlook
Originally uploaded by linfrye
For our last evening here, we each performed a little skit in the courtyard, read from a poem or story, sang. The cooks prepared an AWESOME barbeque for us, and our parting dessert was tiramisu -- OUTSTANDING!

I have to admit to crying as we left for Venice the next morning. I felt so welcomed and cared for and so at home here. From the grounds to the food to the people to the early morning birds, THIS is the Italy I think of and dream of. It was so hard to say goodbye.

On a funny note - the morning we left, the folks were picking mulberries from one of their enormous trees. When I got home to North Carolina, for the first year ever, our own young mulberry had borne sufficient mulberries for us to pick. I rendered them into jam yesterday -- Although I have picked mulberries for years and made jam while in South Carolina, THIS wee tree in Oxford, and THIS year's first bounty, will forever tie me to La Romita.

No comments: