Friday, June 05, 2009

Stroncone - Overlook to Church

Travel Sketchbook
Stroncone Italy
Overlook to Church
Sketched Plein Air
Painted in Studio

I really loved painting in Stroncone - doorways, arches, gardens, but this time I thought I'd try a bit more architecture and so painted this church as I saw it from an overlook in the town.

We were sitting just outside the city walls waiting for our van to pick us up for lunch, and either we were either or the van late. As we sat outside, I sketched this church
-- surrounded by foliage and a backdrop of magnificent mountains. The van arrived before I could paint it, and so it was finished back at La Romita.

Thank you all for your kindest comments on my photos and sketches. Having some time away from the constant stressors and demands of work truly helped me relax and refuel. Of course it didn't hurt that I was absolutely in LOVE with everything I saw, ate and experienced! LOL

Our Business after Hours last night was certainly graced. Despite darkening and threatening clouds, the rain held off until the event finished and so we were able to gather among the plants and flowers -- most in full bloom. With the cloud cover, it was cool enough to enjoy the night and a soft breeze. Certainly a deeply appreciated gift!

This morning, the rain is refreshening our dry soils and parched flowers. Although still June, the high heat has really come on strong. At the Arboretum, we've already harvested a ton of lettuce, our first zucchini and patty pan squash. Tomatoes are turning red and we should be able to harvest those in a week or so.
Summer is upon us!

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Gorgeous painting! That is the way I love landscapes - with a beautiful building as part of the scene.

Anonymous said...

So soft and lovely. I love the perspective. You make use of every minute to sketch and paint!!! And another wonderful group of photos. What a nice way for me to start the day, tripping along with you in Italy!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Your love for Italy shines through every painting.

Joan said...

Wonderful!!!! I love the view of the church surrounded by the foliage. I also love the soft almost misty look to the mountains/hills in the background. You really did well on your trip. Thanks for sharing your journey!!