Friday, September 18, 2009

Fall Fields


Fall Fields
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice

Okay, I have to admit it, as if it wasn't perfectly obvious -- fall is my favorite time of year. In my chore-running travels yesterday, I kept coming across these wondrous fields of yellow - all set against the grey/browns of barns and fences and treetrunks. There is something so soothing to me about these views, and that golden yellow of grasses and flowers catches my eyes at every turn. We're finally having the rain we desperately need, and the weather is again cooling. Perhaps the clouded skies brought out the vivid yellows ... but yesterday, it seemed to me as if the world had turned golden -- even when it was raining!

We pass this barn and field each time we drive to the next small town. The barn is tucked far off the road, and if I kept driving to the left of this image, I'd come across a modern white house. The hayfields I painted last week are to the right of the fields. I cannot tell you how many times I have pased by this scene without ever noticing the barn! But the yellow caught my eye and I had to stop long enough to LOOK. It's on a rather well-used road that links several busy streets, and so I supposed we just speed by like everyone else, never 'quite' noticing. Sort of reminds me of never noticing a piece of furniture that we use all the time until we get a new slip-cover! LOL

This Saturday we take 45 people in three vans and several cars to the Apple Festival and to another area garden over 2 1/2 hours away. I'm hearing mixed reports for the weather, so my fingers are crossed that the rain holds off until we return late Saturday night.

I've more errands to run today - but hope to get in a nap and a sketch. I'll be in a different part of the county and hope to find more overlooked 'treasures'....

Hope you see some too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yellows Lin and a soft dreamy look overall. It's amazing what we can see when we slow down or can be the one in the passenger seat! Hope the rain holds off for your apple trip! It has started raining here this morning and is in the forecast for several days. But we've had several gorgeous days, including yesterday, when our Campaign for Liberty group stood on a busy corner during rush hour(s) and held up signs for Constitution Day. We must never forget! Of course we also managed to do some campaigning for Rand Paul.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Sandy said...

Oh I agree Lin, autumn is my fav too - and I too would have made note of this wonderful scene. Fabulous.

Connie said...

I love fall AND your barn!

Joan said...

That foreground is lovely!!! I love the colors at this time of year and you did an outstanding job with them. It is funny how you can pass something so many times without ever noticing it, but then... bang!!!...it really catches your attention.