Friday, August 10, 2012

In a Mood of Translucence - Thank You Irene

9" x 12" Watercolor
Arches 140#CP

While I was visiting mom and enjoying my sister's patio and the most delicious and cooling breeze I've felt since May, I was able to paint a bit while mom dozed in the sun. I had taken a few of my favorite images to use for painting should I have a chance to splash paint a bit.

One of the images I carried was this dream of a photo by Irene Steeves -Dreaming of Summer
www.flickr.com/photos/ircsi333/5636304766
Irene has generously permitted me to use the photo as an inspiration and reference for this painting --- Thank YOU so much, Irene! Please drop by Irene's flickr to see more incredible images!!!

What I love most about this wonderful creation is the translucency of the petals as the light that falls through the sheerness into the background -- WOW!! And what a challenge it was to achieve a similiar look in watercolor! I so enjoyed the challenge as well as the beauty and feeling of lightness Irene's image evoked!

It's been a busy week catching up with things and readying for my show and festival this weekend. I've a few more paintings to frame, much to pack up. We'll be having dinner with friends afterwards -- can't wait! Charles has a music jam on Sunday -- so a full weekend.

I have additional travel plans for the rest of the month so I'll be on and off flickr ....I can hardly believe I'm finally able to take some mini-vacations!!! It's been years!!!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Lorraine said...

OH MY GOODNESS Lin. I know I say this a lot about your paintings, but I am continually amazed at your creations. I am swept away by how you accomplished this and also thank Irene for your inspiration. Double, triple, quadruple WOW.

I've never been able to achieve that translucency that one is supposed to get with watercolor and I sit here in amazement at what you've posted today. BRAVO dear friend.

Wishing you many sales and lots of new contacts this weekend.

Big hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

So gorgeous Lin as are all your paintings!

Joan Tavolott said...

Those petals look so translucent!!! Wow!!! This is a beauty!

I don't understand how a little trip from NY can have such problems. You always luck out with your trips up here. Sorry I missed your emails about the Arboretum. I didn't get on the computer until Monday and then it was too late!

bean bag chairs said...

Hi Lin. Your works looks gorgeous. I like the way that its edges has a soft texture. Its calming to look at.