Sunday, May 16, 2021

Travel Journal - Poinsett State Park, SC







Travel Journal - We spent a week at Poinsett State Park taking in each of the many trails ...The focus of this part of our trip was definitely the hikes and I was glad to capture them with a bit of ink and watercolor.
One thing about keeping a travel journal - the compromises, especially when traveling with a non-sketcher/non-journaler. It seems to me that I had a few options, depending on what I wanted to focus on --- I could relish and LIVE the experience I was having, stop and capture the moment(s) with words or images, or take lots of photos and recapture those moments from photographs. With a non-sketcher as my partner and husband, what became most apparent to me was the importance of living in that moment -- TOGETHER. So that meant, I could capture a word or two on paper, and take tons of photographs (which I've done), and sketch later -- my compromise.
What I found by doing this, was my experience of what we were doing, seeing, living, was later RECREATED from the photos I had taken. The scenes I had experienced by sharing those with my husband, were amplified by recreating them in pen and watercolor and words. While I might stop and do an on-location sketch when we weren't hiking, I found that the time spent with my spouse and sharing that experience took priority over capturing a sketch or paragraph.
Priorities may change on different travel plans, but this trip - the focus was on the hiking, seeing things we missed when our plans to go West were canceled due to Covid, and simply enjoy the spring as the season made its way north.
So, more hikes, and a rest at the Poinsett Visitors Center.








 

1 comment:

Joan Tavolott said...

This is a smart way of enjoying the trip with you spouse and still be able to sketch.