Friday, January 27, 2006

More Pen in the Great Outdoors


Following the clean up after birthing Gourdy Sue, the Carolina blue sky and birdsong pulled me outdoors. I had promised myself a bit of outdoor sketching today, and this was the perfect opportunity. Temperatures had warmed from a frigid 20F this morning to a warmer 50F and I donned my down jacket (I am so darn cold-natured!), my gloves, my sketchpad and PEN.

I sat on the bench that lines one of the trails in front of our property and sketched the scene before me. I lost track of time as the birds kept me company through their twitterings and the sun allowed me to sit for a while feeling warm and cozy.

I used a Micron .03 - and as I've said before, I have much to learn about controlling the pen's line and shading. I'm not sure if I'll add a watercolor wash or not to this sketch ... but for now, I enjoyed my time in the sun and being lost in the land I love.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Lin
Very pretty sketch. I grew up in Tennessee, thought I've been in So. Calif for 40 years. It's so beautiful in your neck of the woods. But in your post you spoke about that little clover and how you got lost in it. I get that way when I'm doing my art journaling or collages. I lose a sense of time. I think I will find a clover and draw it and see how that feels.

Linda said...

I like this sketch! I don't think I'd add water to it, though.

Linda said...

oops ... I meant "watercolor", of course. Although I might be wrong ...

Terri said...

Hi Lin, Sounds like a blissful way to spend time to me. :o) I like this sketch just as it is, but the large tree at the back on the left would be lovely with some subtle colour added to it too. Perhaps you could do a separate drawing of just this tree at some stage and try your hand at colouring it with some watercolours. It looks like a beauty.

Teri said...

Your description of the scene while you sat and sketched is reflected in the peaceful of your sketch. Keep that pen going Lin!