Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sketching Loved Ones


I tend to get caught up 'in the experience' when the grands are visiting, thus actually attempting a sketch a passing thought until they are safely snugged in their beds and I'm betwixt exhaustion and obligation! Still, I would love nothing more than to be able to sit between them and sketch their beautiful faces, enchanting expressions and fleeting moments of wonder--so I do my best to capture these in photos for reference at a later time. I've tried to practice sketching my grands, but I'm still disappointed in my attempts to render a 'realistic' portrayal of them.

Everytime I look at sketchbooks I admire, there are ALWAYS images of people .. and I ADORE them! So with the photos we took yesterday and a bit of suggestion from a few books about sketching from photographs, I've attempted my little loved ones, yet again. I've kept the image 'sketchbook' like so there is more 'suggestion' ....

4 comments:

Teri said...

Lin, this is great! Just sketchy enough to make it even more interesting. Great start on that goal of yours and I know one day I will find that sketch here!

Felicity Grace said...

Lin, don't feel that drawing from photos is somehow second rate. I know this is a fashionable view (it puts us all under pressure not to do it) but you get valuable experience and practice that will stand you in good stead when you need to draw from life. Lots of luck! Gorgeous photos of the little ones!

Tami said...

Lin, this is so enchanting! I love the soft , gentle feeling. The colors and perspective are great, too! The Grands look so sweet! Beautiful!!! Each sketch of them gets better. I agree with Teri and Felicity, anyway you practice (and right now it is with photos) gets you one step closer to your goal.

Jana Bouc said...

This is really lovely and has a fairy tale look to it. It really captuures the awe and innocence and mystery of the little ones. I don't think there's anything wrong with drawing from your own photos! I use my camera a lot to take pictures of things I see that I want to paint. I would never get to use many of the subjects I wanted to paint if I could only work from life or my own sketches. I get so much pleasure in the deep seeing that happens when I paint, whether I'm looking closely at a photo or the real thing in person and I'm sure studying your grandchildren in order to draw them was a joyful experience and that's what counts, no?