Friday, July 28, 2006

Strawberry Basket


It hit almost 100F today with humidity to match!!! But after sketching from photos most of the week (late nights and late work!!), I wanted to get back to some plein air. So I sat on my shaded porch and sketched my strawberry basket (sketchbook style).

A wren has built a nest camouflaged within its leaves, and as I sketched, the wren gave me quite a scolding!! But she eventually returned to her five eggs and left me to my painting.

The nest is doing a bit of damage to the plant, but I've decided I'd just as soon watch the wrens!

4 comments:

belindadelpesco.com said...

Awwwwe, Lin, what a great little watercolor sketch, and a lovely story!I see the little nest in there, and I love it! I've got a family of mourning doves in a hanging geranium, and I can't water it now, so I've come to the same conclusion you have; the birds get to stay, at the plant's expense. But, I'll have to grab a sketch book and record the event now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Great sketch, Lin! I'm happy that the wrens get to stay. They need a temporary home, and will be gone too soon. Loved the story!

Karen Sandstrom said...

I'm with you on letting the wrens hang out there, Lin. Aren't they fun to watch? You're building such a great "gallery" of your yard from this summer.

Teri said...

You are blowing me away with all these wonderful sketches Lin! Super super job on this. Love the little wrens sharing your basket.