Monday, February 18, 2008

Cup Plant ?


Cup Plant ?
Originally uploaded by linfrye
At the Butterfly House, I noticed this most unusual plant hanging from one of the baskets high up in one of the trees. Each of those 'cups' catches water (I even managed to pour some out), and the leaves just formed this "lace" all around it. I'm not familiar with this tropical plant, but it reminds me of those insectiveous plants that also catch water and insects (like the Carolina Pitcher Plants), so I'm assuming this plant too is among those varities.

The Butterfly House is a very interesting place to visit!! And such FUN!

8 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

How interesting...and what a beautiful illustration.

Lorraine said...

Very cool plant and a really nice rendering of it. Your detail where the water is held is great! And I love the curling vines and the background.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

That is so neat! And your painting of it is a beauty!

Sandy said...

Lin I have had to catch up on your posts, they are so different and so lovely - your work continues to amaze me!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Isn't that something ... I've never heard of such a thing as a cup plant. Thank you for sharing it with us. Not only explaining it but a painting of it also. Thanks.

Felicity Grace said...

Lovely plant, lovely flowing lines! That little touch of yellow in the centre really draws the eye!

Joan said...

This is such a lovely composition!! I love how this trails down. Lovely colors in this.

Anonymous said...

Lovely painting.

The "cup plant" is called Pitcher Plants, scientifically called Nepenthes. In my place it is locally known as "Manguk Kera" or Monkey Cup.

More Pitcher Plants photos