Tuesday, February 12, 2008

San Michele, Sicily


San Michele, Sicily
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Another worrisome night -- the fires restarted around 6:00 pm last evening, and we were midst smoke all night long -- but thankfully, remained at home. With the drought conditions as they've been, I hate to think that we'll be living like this for months. Still, for now, things are quiet ... and again, we're grateful....

I've had this photo of the winery we toured while in Sicilly two years ago. It was taken from Mt. Etna --- San Michele, Sicily. The original house color is a funny pink, and when I sketched this, I painted it that color. But the more I stared at it, the painting called for a 'white' house -- and so last night, too distracted to do anything well, I inked over the house in white.

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers ... we've dodged a couple of bullets, but we're literally not out of the woods. We've got a bit of rain in the forecast -- maybe it'll be enough to quell THIS particular threat. Thank you -- truly!

10 comments:

Teri said...

This is beautiful Lin. There is such great depth to it.

More hugs for saf living and lots of rain.

Lorraine said...

I think you made the right choice with the white house. It really shows up at the end of the drive. Not sure the pink would have with the color of the earth. A super painting Lin. You have really mastered the distance/depth effect which I find so difficult. Love it all!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Carole said...

Lin, sorry to hear you are living with such devastation and disruption on your doorstep. I'll pray for rain for you.

Love the work that you are doing, as always. Those earlier yellow crocuses are full of hope, and I love the atmosphere in your fog demonstration painting. I don't think I could demonstrate my method, as I use a different one each time!

Sandy said...

Oh Lin, this painting is so frame-able and so Very Italy - truely lovely (and yes white- the house needs to be) I pray for rain your way, we have had way too much and yet it does not stop - Keep up the Glorious Work!!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Here's sending you good wishes so that you'll be safe with all that going on around you.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you when I heard about the fires. I'm glad you dodged this one and hope that the rain comes soon to your part of the country. The colors and beautifully done perspective in this painting are wonderful!

Joan said...

A beautiful job on those vines leading you in to the house!! Lovely colors throughout. Can I send you some of our rain that is pouring down right now? Hope things calm down for you.

Desiree's Designs said...

How scary,I am so sorry that you are having to live like this!. I love this picture, I want to go to Italy so much, maybe next year! Keep us updated!

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Oh dear, didn't read this post yet before... :( Take good care of yourselves!!!

This painting is so powerful. Amazing vineyard and trees, great choice a with house.

Unknown said...

That is beautifull Lin. I am so in love with how beautifull SanMichele, Argiento and Sciacca is and the house in white is def. better. I wanted to tell you're crowd that i actually import Extra Virgin olive oil from San Michele, Sicily From a company called "Fratelli Cucchiara". I'm the only importer of the fine extra virgin olive out here in the united states because my father is very good friends with Giuseppe. If you or anyone would like to visit my website and try out the extra virgin olive oil, i'm sure you would all love it. It's unlike anything you have ever tasted. Try the novello , shipping is free.

www.sanmichele.us

Sincerly,
Paul Bivona