Thursday, February 21, 2008

Star Magnolia


Star Magnolia
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The star magnolia is in bloom at the Arboretum! These floppy, petaled flowers are just wonderful to see -- white against bare limbs. I know this sketch would benefit from a dark background, but I didn't want to risk that amount of water on the sketch paper.

Even though all this blossoming is taking place, the temperature today is in the 30sF, and at my house, north by 80 miles, we're expecting sleet ... but hey, it's WET!!! YEAH!

10 comments:

Lorraine said...

Oh it's so delicate and lovely Lin. I like it just the way it is! Yes, the weather report is for water headed your way!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Beautifully delicate. I'm getting the feeling that you are ready for spring.....*wink
Its cool here, but the sun has been shining more freqently lately.

Joan said...

Lin, It's wonderful that you have a place nearby where you can view these lovely plants. Nice job on this one...I love the colors!

Lynn said...

All of your flower drawings are exquisite, but this one is so lovely and ethereal.

Tami said...

Hummm, Star Magnolia's are one of my favorites too! I love the delicate flow to the petals in your sketch and the blue for the shadows...It's beautiful!

Sandy said...

Congratulations on WET coming your way (and ours as snow) and this magnolia is so fragile and delicate - I love its color too.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Lin.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Lin, Sharon tagged me, and I am tagging you. It's just a little thank you for all the encouragement you provide me just about every day.

Linda said...

Oh yay! I need to run around to the side of the house and see if mine are blooming, too! They always surprise me with how early they are. This is just beautiful!

Maureen said...

Oh, don't you dare add a dark background. It looks perfect the way it is. It reminds me of an old botany field journal.