Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Cape Hatteras NC Lighthouse


Cape Hatteras NC Lighthouse
Originally uploaded by linfrye
The invitation to paint on Wet Canvas this month references a couple of lighthouses. In order to make challenge this more relevant to me, I thought I'd sketch some of North Carolina's fine lighthouses -- and so sketched this one of Cape Hatteras.

My reference photo (I live four hours from the lighthouse!!! LOL) showed a sunny summer day, so I thought, also fitting for our predicted showers today, to add a bit of a storm approaching.

I'd like to do this again on a larger sheet of paper so I can extend the lighthouse. I tend to be more relaxed about my daily practice sketching, and tend to freeze up a bit when I attempt a 'painting.' I'm going to have to think a bit of ways to change that!! LOL

6 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

WOW...Beautiful lin. I feel like I'm right there.

Lorraine said...

Very very nice. I especially like the sky and the ground -- lots of great perspective and feeling in this one!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Gosh Lin, adding that storm was a stroke of genius! Beautiful!

wagonized said...

I thought it was already dramatic, then i read you added the storm approaching -- which is really neat. Great results!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

A large sheet of paper intimidates me. Yet it is easier to let the paint flow, yet I can't seee it so well. hmmm

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the light in this one! Stunning.