Saturday, March 29, 2008

Arboretum Bouquet Redeaux


Arboretum Bouquet Redeaux
Originally uploaded by linfrye
What a splendid, much needed, as the-doctor-ordered kind of a day yesterday!!! Thank heavens for grace!!

Yesterday, Florence (http://www.flickr.com/photos/inker1) and I met in Raleigh and took a leisurely tour of the Community College System's art display (yes, the same place as the reception held earlier).... but sans crowds and with a guide. We took the so-needed time and slower pace to really study each piece -- from quilts to pottery, to sculpture to oils to the few watercolors. I am amazed at how many pieces I missed earlier!! And there is always something added when a friend, also interested in art, joins you in the viewing -- somehow your vision is enhanced and both of you see more. It was quite enjoyable!!

We then ate outdoors, basking in the 75F weather, at a most wonderful West Indian restaurant, chatting and sharing and dreaming all the while.

After lunch, we took a leisurely stroll through the JC Raulston Arboretum, snapping 'reference' photos for both art, and for me, ideas for our own plant installations.

It was terrifically relaxing and so SO enjoyable to share what one loves with someone who loves the same things!! Thank you, Florence for the visit and the much-needed leisure!!!

I finished my redo of the Arboretum bouquet I did earlier this week in ink and wash. The bouquet I brought home to use to complete my drawing was pretty well drooped -- but I used it (and the photo I took) to judge color and placement. The double daffodills were still living -- and I could finally take the time to accent those incredible centers, especially the tri-color one of white, peach and yellow.

Our temperatures are MUCH cooler this weekend (these fluctuations happen each spring in NC), so I'm hoping that when I return to work on Monday the daffodills will still look as perky on the grounds as they did when I left on Thursday.

5 comments:

Tami said...

This sounds so fun, Lin! You are right, there is nothing like sharing something with a friend that has the same intrests. Your bouquet is beautiful. Great job on those double daffs. Myself, I prefer the singles.

Lorraine said...

Well it looks like the day of rest and artwork viewing was just what the doctor ordered! I'm so happy for you and for all of us as this is an incredible drawing Lin -- the perspective of each flower is perfect! And the colors are so lovely. So glad you had this much needed day. And I agree that when we view art with another, we each see things the other does not and that it enriches the experience for us, much like discussing a book or movie with another and "seeing" things the other didn't.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

It sounds like you had a nice "art day." When I go to a show I like to walk around it several times, and if you can go back a second day there are always treasures you missed the first time. Nice job on the bouquet. I like the placement of the flowers and the color.

Teri said...

Beautous!! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Linda said...

Sounds like a heavenly day. Your flowers are absolutely beautiful!

And I can't believe it was so warm there -- and that the azaleas are blooming already. Spring is so exciting! :-)