Friday, August 22, 2008

Live Oaks, Magnolia Gardens


Life Oaks, Magnolia Gardens
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I have always been enthralled with the magesty of the live oak and studied these giants from all aspects -- their biology, distribution, use, mythology, folklore, and symbolism. While in Charleston this year, I captured several photos of this species and thought I would try to paint them in all the glory that belongs to this incredible bit of nature.

Though I'm not totally satisfied with this painting and will probably do it again, it does represent the live oak in its habitat - its home along the salt marsh, its association with Spanish moss, the maritime forest at its back. And the lawn - well, that's one of those symbols of South Carolina plantations -- the human manipulation of the natural world into something a bit less wild, a bit more under human 'control.'

For me, the enormous canapy produced by these trees, the quiet of flowing water and sounds of birds and marsh winds, seems a perfect place to lie on a blanket, enveloped by soft shade -- and immerse myself in a really deep dose of tranquility ....

One can always dream ...

4 comments:

Sue Seibert said...

Beautiful, Lin. Our live oaks don't grown nearly as tall here, but on the Gulf coast of Texas they do, with Spanish moss hanging low, as yours do. They are beautiful; so grand.

Joan said...

Lin - You captured these live oaks so well!!! I've always wanted to paint them from photos I've taken, but they're so massive they ARE the photo. I like how you did this. By the way, I'm ready to fly off to Venice anytime.lol

Deb said...

Oh pleasant memories.....
I love the way you've done the foliage, and the greens you've used.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a majestic painting too! I'm always amazed at how well you paint such a variety of subjects. This whole scene is just gorgeous -- cool and calming -- just what we all need about now!
Hugs,
Lorraine