Sunday, August 10, 2008

Yates Mill, Cary, NC


Yates Mill, Cary, NC
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Our plein air group met at Yates Mill outside Cary yesterday ... a beautiful old mill and lake, woodland trails, and a large, well-designed recreation facility. One often doesn't know just who'll attend a particular plein air event, and this day seemed to draw folks I hadn't seen since the first plein air outing I ever attended. And to my surprise -- I finally did meet a friend I had chatted with on line who lives only an hour from me --!! We hope to get together for our own 'sketch crawl' before too long.

Though the weather was milder than it has been -- mid to high 80s -- and the humidity was rather low, I still wasn't feeling my spunky self - There's some kind of bug going around and it seems to be nibbling at my head ...

I sat by the lake, leaving the architectural challenge of the mill to another time, and sketched a view I tend to favor --- flowers and trees! I fussed too much with this and it certainly isn't one of my better paintings -- but I loved being out with this incredible group of talented artists and simply having the time to relax with a bit of the natural world that I love and always find peaceful ...

4 comments:

Connie said...

Beautiful! As was the day! As was meeting you and Charles!

Connie

Carol Bonomo said...

It's a wonderful piece - peaceful art!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I envy you painting with your plein air group. Are there many who attend your paint-outs? I belong to a group, but we don't paint as much as I'd hoped.

The temps sound like they are still a little warm for my taste. We've had 2 days of some occasional rain and our plants look lovely as a reward ... but the forcast is for high 80 by next week.

Lovely peaceful painting, Lin.

Joan said...

I love the foreground in this!!! It is so nice that you have a group to go plein air painting with. It really adds to the fun of painting.