Saturday, August 30, 2008

Stream and Flowers


Stream and Flowers
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Our summer heat and humidity has returned, and with it the kind of late August, 'wet-blanket' kind of oppressive air that makes it hard to breath ....

I added to all that heat yesterday spending the day in the kitchen preserving a basket of figs and one of pears. We'll enjoy these fruits this winter -- but mercy, our air conditioner was doing double-time to keep the house (and me -- me, who is always cold), somewhat cooler than the out of doors.

Our pear trees are so heavy with fruit that their branches have snapped ... so it'll be several days (weeks?) preserving the bounty with more of my time at the stove. I haven't preserved this much fruit in several years, and my jam cabinet is fuller than it has been in quite a while. I have heard that the Farmers Almanac predicts a colder than normal winter, and if one believes in reading Nature's signs, all this abundance would echo that prediction. We'll see.

This sketch was done from a photo reference -- guess I was dreaming of rest and cooler climes! LOL

9 comments:

Joan said...

Sorry to hear your humidity has returned. We've been having rather cool days here. I love the calm feeling this painting gives...Great color! Save me some of that jam!lol

Deb said...

What a beautiful spot and painting, love the colors in the rocks and the perky flowers.

Carol Bonomo said...

This is really nice.

Teresa said...

Hi Lin,
I'm catching up on my blog reading... loved all of your new paintings (goldenrod, teacup, pears and stream) but especially loved the sweet gesture behind the pears! Your hubby sounds like a great guy... which means the two of you go together very well! Wonderful job on the paintings!
(hugs)
T

Anonymous said...

Lovely and serene -- one can almost feel those last gasps of summer in the stillness in the flowers, the colors and the quiet stream. I don't envy you the work but you will appreciate it this winter. Stay cool! Our heat has returned too!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Sue Seibert said...

Love your Stream and Flowers, and those preserves sound delicious. Yes, we have summer again here, too, but we are leaving for Canada and Alaska on Thursday...can't wait for the autumn!

caseytoussaint said...

Just lovely, Lin!

Teri said...

What a gorgeus peaceful scene. I want to sit right down there and relax and sounds like you need to do the same thing! :)

Teri said...

What a gorgeus peaceful scene. I want to sit right down there and relax and sounds like you need to do the same thing! :)