Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sunflower Still Life


Sunflower Still Life
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Back at work, the first week of classes, and it's just as insane as the preparations for this week!! Sigh! It should even out, though, by Friday when everyone's settled, meetings are over, and we really have a meeting-free day to get all those 'must-have's' done! LOL

I worked on this still life over the weekend and finished it before I left for work yesterday. What drew me to this scene was the 'rediscovered tea pot' -- again 'forgotten' in the recesses of cupboards ....and I wanted to paint something to hang in our newly painted, pale yellow kitchen -- and include the colors we're accenting -- earth tones, yellow, green, a bit of russet, umber, teal, blue, gold, orange. The light shading on the 'wall' of this still life is not evident in this scan ... which looked much more intense on my computer screen at home. Anyway, it's a quarter sheet of watercolor paper, and the sunflowers are from the silk arrangement on my table and I grew the 'olive' tomatoes -- which, even in 90F heat, are producing the most incredibly sweet fruits!

I hope folks in Florida remain safe with the storm coming ashore .. I called my mom who lives there this morning and she said it was raining, and dark ... so be safe everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colors and all the details in your still life - just beautiful. And your new color scheme sounds terrific.
A lot of hard work but worth it in the end -- and isn't fun discovering forgotten treasures.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Deb said...

This will look so pretty on pale yellow walls! Your kitchen colors sound yummy!

Felicity Grace said...

Wow, it really is incredible to see how much your painting has improved this year - it was going like a rocket for the last couple of years but this year, Lin, you've gone supersonic! Beautiful work!

Teri said...

Oh wow Lin, this is just beautiful!! It's a wowser!

And, we were thinking along the same lines today :)

Joan said...

I'm sure this will really look lovely in your new kitchen. I love the colors in this!! How big is it?

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Lovely calming still life.

Odd Chick said...

Just absolutely beautiful. Your sunflowers are so appealing.

Ivona Hrvatin said...

Dear Lin,

a long time since my last visit... I'm very busy these days... came to send you nicest greetings...

At beginning of September I'm planing to make holidays in Emilia Romagna in Italy... will tell you everything when I'm back :).

Enjoy painting!
A big hug, Jona

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Beautiful, Lin!

Teresa said...

Gosh, Lin, it's absolutely gorgeous!! (I'm green with envy!)