Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall Dogwood on Pilot Mountain - on Masa

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP
Masa Paper

While traveling in the mountains last weekend, we were surprised to find that so little of the landscape had turned our typical red/scarlet. Most trees remained yellow and gold - and only here and there a bit of red was evident - a few oaks, one or two sweetgums, and this lone dogwood.

We spent the night in a delightful tobacco barn turned cabin at Pilot Knob Inn. On our way to the main house for breakfast, the sun was just coming up over the treeline and virtually LIT this single dogwood at the entrance of the owner's home. I snapped a photo and decided I would paint that single brilliant red tree once I got home. I had to paint this several times before I could get the correct reds and background ... sometimes that Masa can be tricky!! LOL

Off to work for another week. We're trying to get another large garden completed before the ground gets cold ... so it'll be design work, ordering plants and working on pathways and beds.

I hope your week is terrific!

2 comments:

Joan said...

Gorgeous!!! You have really done so well with the masa paper for your paintings. I am itching to give it another try. (It has been years.)

We have sunshine and warmer temps today, but it is windy. I tried sitting out by a lake today to paint, but ended up finishing the painting in the car. lol Enjoy your "autumn" day.

Lorraine said...

Oh me, your gorgeous tree just explodes with color. I love love love it. Can't wait to have some time to paint. So much going on here but such a delight to take the time to view your latest offerings. Your paintings are such a delight and this tree an over the top delight!
Big hugs,
Lorraine