Saturday, October 23, 2010

Oak Leaf and Acorns


Oak Leaf and Acorns
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal Size

With the bit of rain we've had and the almost-frosty nights and bright sunshiney days, we are finally beginning to see a bit of red in the landscape.

This oak leaf and acorns were painted during our mountain trip last weekend. We were in higher elevations (2,500 feet) so there was a bit more red there than at the same time here at home (elevation approx. 325F).

What I love about sketching and painting leaves is the wonderful challenge of folds, color merges, shadows, form. And while all of these aspects are challenges in larger works, somehow they seem more acute on such a small, single object. Fun!

We had a good painting day yesterday - and I even managed to can some apple sauce and dry another nine trays of apples -- YUM! Getting ready for the winter to be sure.

We've chores to do today - but I hope to have a bit of time for more painting. Thank you all too for your most kind comments yesterday! You certainly brought tears to my eyes! Blessings!

The sun is still snuggly asleep as I write this morning, and the heater is going full blast. My radio station says we're in the low 40sF .... but we're expecting highs in the 70sF today --- heat in the morning, air conditioning in the afternoon -- whew!

I hope you have a delightful weekend!!! And as always, thank you for your visits and comments!

4 comments:

Teri said...

I just LOVE that leaf! Perfect!!

Lorraine said...

Incredibly well done. I am amazed at the way you captured the curls and upturns on the leaf -- so impossible for me to do. It is so realistic it could be a photograph! I love the colors too but oh my, the rendering of the details -- perfection.

Enjoy your weekend.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Joan said...

Beautiful job on the leaf and acorns!!! I just love that granulating shadow!!! Nicely shaded!

We have a sunny, crisp, autumn day today. I'm hoping to get out to paint for a while today. Enjoy!!

Timaree said...

Gorgeous leaf with it's turned in edges and the two nuts add just the right amount of oomph.