Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Virginia Apples


Virginia Apples
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal Size

Fall in the North Carolina mountains also means apples - and so we decided to travel along some of the smaller roads to see if we could find a local orchard or two to pick up some apples. We started by exploring some small roads in rural North Carolina, but wound up heading north and into Virginia. We must have stopped at over eight different farm stands and orchards!

Most farm stands had the 'standard, can-be-found-at-the-grocery-store' apple - Red Delicious, Gala, Fuji and the like ... but we were after smaller, less well known (at least to us) varieties.

Both C and I prefer apples that are tart and firm fleshed, and after tasting apple after apple across the miles we traveled, we wound up bringing home these four - Winesap, York, Stayman and Arkansas Black. Our grocers carry Stayman and Winesap (though not in large quantities) but Arkansas Black and York were new to us.

The York is a bit sweeter than I like, so I'll render those into applesauce this weekend. C prefers the Arkansas Black for eating out of hand, and I'll dehydrate the winesap and stayman because in the dried state, these apples have a wonderful, tart 'snappy' taste. Of course, we'll mix them for some apple butter - and I may make a pie or two ....

They're developing a large apple orchard at Horne Creek Farm with as many of the 'old' North Carolina apple varieties as they can find -- it'll be an incredible living historical record for our state and a continuation of some of our best apples!

Off to work -- have a grand day!

4 comments:

Joan said...

Yummy looking apples!!! I like the looseness of the one on the top right. I've tasted winesap, but that's the only one of the group I've tried.

It is damp and drizzly here. Hope your day is good!

Lorraine said...

Wow, beautifully drawn and colored -- the details are incredible and I feel like I could just pick one up and eat it!! Gorgeous painting.

We get all except the Arkansas one. I grew up in VT which was apple heaven, especially in the fall when the MacIntosh apples were so tart and juicy -- we ate salt on them. I can't imagine doing that now. The macs we get here are soft and sweet. Now there are many many varieties in VT of the Mac mixed with others but it's still my favorite if it's hard and tart and juicy. And it makes THE most delicious cider I've ever had.

Unfotunately the booming apple business in VT has been hurt badly by imports. So sad; so many orchards going to waste.

Thanks for the art and the memories.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

I love the shine on all these apples. Looks like I could grab one and start munching. My newest fav is 'Honey crisp'.

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Lin, you have just inspired me to do some watercolor studies of fruit and veggies. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful work. I absolutely love your blog. Excuse me while I enjoy your previous post.

All the best to you.
Joan