Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crested Iris

Crested Iris by linfrye
Crested Iris, a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

These bright purple crested iris, thinner petaled than those blooming earlier, are now the 'show' at the Arboretum. Their smaller size almost hides the flowers among all the foliage ... but their color draws the eye to their presence. These pretties prefer moist soil, and in my walk around our lake yesterday, I found several clusters bright against the darker water.

We're in for more rain today, though the sun is giving us an hour or two of warmth and shine - so welcome after so much grey.

Hope your day is sunny!

4 comments:

Teri said...

I'm not sure if I have ever seen these kind of iris. They are so pretty.

Joan Tavolott said...

Love the delicate look to these irises!!! Great job!

We are having lots of rain today. Luckily my plein air group decided to go to a greenhouse today, so we were able to paint indoors.

Just checking that you have my new blog addresss. The old one no longer lets me upload photos. I haven't seen you there, and I don't know if I forgot to send you the address, or if you've just been busy. Enjoy!
www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Lorraine said...

Another "new to me" flower Lin. You are a storehouse of information. I'm going to rename you WikiLin!!!

The painting is lovely. The soft green with the deep purple is a lovely combination and one which a friend of mine would adore. I love the long stems and the free-form way they drift down the page.

It is STILL raining here. And so cold too. I have gotten back out the winter jammies and throws for evening -- the cats and I both appreciate it. Last's night news said today was a record low in 120 years and still there's no end in sight to the rain.

Stay warm and dry,
Hugs
Lorraine who is anxiously awaiting the results of our state primary elections -- celebrations tonight or sadness?

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lin,

This is lovely and delicate. I wish the rain would stop. Joan T. made it to plein air today I didn't fighting off a nasty cold.

All the best to you,
Joan