Monday, May 16, 2011

Italian Poppies

Italian Poppies  by linfrye
Italian Poppies , a photo by linfrye on Flickr.

9" x 12"
Arches 140#CP

How I longed to stop by the sides of the road last week when we traveled to the nursery! Mile after mile of poppies were in full bloom - all planted by the NC Department of Transportation as part of Lady Bird Johnson's beautification program. The sight of them took my breath -- and my mind went right back to Italy and the hillsides of poppies I saw there. This painting is merely a quick 'dreamscape' of what I remember from my trips to Italy - inspired by our own highway poppies. If the rain holds off any this week, I may just have to take some quick photos from my car along the highways ...

We've rain in store most of the week and a few trips too -- fingers crosed that the weather improves so we don't have to cancel these much anticipated events.

Have a super day -- and thanks too for your continued votes!

PLEASE VOTE!
http://www.communitiestakeroot.com/Plant/Index/439?brand=0

1 comment:

Timaree said...

This reminds me of California hillsides but the poppies would be golden colored. Very nice.