Saturday, November 10, 2007

Karlyn Holman Workshop


Karlyn Holman Workshop
Originally uploaded by linfrye
I'm heading out shortly for another class at Jerry Artarama's "Art in the Carolinas' -- and it's just what the doctor ordered!! FABULOUS classes, warm, helpful instructors, art all day long, a huge trade show, demonstrations, and FUN!

My first class yesterday was with Karlyn Holman (http://www.karlynholman.com) -- whose work I've admired and whose books and DVDs have a permanent place on my bookshelf and in my travel materials. I took a class with Karlyn last year where we used mixed media (watercolor pencils and watercolor) to produce loose flowers (http://viewfromtheoak.blogspot.com/search?q=Karen+Vernon).

This workshop, however, used more traditional methods of glazing-- with a twist -- painting the shadows FIRST. Karlyn provided the drawing so we could spend three hours focusing on how to approach the painting, how our paints (Winsor-Newton) worked in water, compliments, glazing, and how she used an Oriental brush to 'throw' paint for an 'alla prima' loose look to the foliage. FABULOUS!

I was thrilled to be allowed to join her 'full' class today where we'll continue focusing on this method as we paint an Italian-looking doorway ---!!

It's been a BLAST!

More to come ....

6 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

This is BEAUTIFUL Lin.

I'm glad to hear that this class is enjoyable. Painting the shadow area first is a good idea. I did the same thing a few paintings ago and I must say it (the paintnig) turned out well. Sometime's I think it's just trying something different that gets me excited about my work.

Teri said...

Beautiful work. You sound like a happy painter!!

Anonymous said...

Visiting from sketchers hideout (nablopomo); stopping in to say hello...

lovely rendering!

Linda said...

Lin - this is really fantastic! I can see that you really made some kind of jump here -- your colors and brush work are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Lin...I love those dark shadows...are they the oriental brush "throw-ins"?
ronell

Lorraine said...

Ooooh, this is just lovely. So glad you got to paint with Karyln again -- she's so good -- and so are YOU. I can't seem to master shadows -- always put them in the wrong place LOL.
I so miss being there with you this year -- so glad you are enjoying it to the fullest.
hugs,
Lorraine