Sunday, November 25, 2007

River Street Sweets, Savannah, GA

One of the things we enjoyed most about our trip to Savannah was the opportunity to walk the many picturesque city squares and the riverfront area.

One of our walks took us past the evocative scents of the River Street Sweets Shop --- where they were making fresh pralines, fudge, salt water taffy ... oh my gracious! We couldn't resist!

Inside the store were racks of various sweets, taffy ropes being cut and papered, and that ultra-sweet praline -- made with pecans, chocolate, caramel, or plain -- YUM!!! About the size of the palm of my hand -- these teeth-tingling sweets, made of sugar, pecans, butter and cream -- melt in your mouth ... and we had to have a few --'just to say we did!' LOL We truly ate only a bite or two ... s-l-o-w-l-y .... and then tried to walk them off! Gracious -- delicious!

Anyway -- I had to sketch the shop, so enticing in itself ....

11 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

Wonderful - a real sense of depth through the doorway!

Lorraine said...

The colors in this one are gorgeous. I really like the pink and remember the pink flowers in another Savannah painting you did earlier. Really looks warm and inviting. Lovely!
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Wow Lin, another beauty!! Great colors and great depth...I want to walk through that door.

juj said...

Oh my goodness! Either you've been extremely busy or it has just been too long since I visited your blog, Lin! I think it's probably a little of both, and shame on me. Sooooo many fabulous things to look at, and so many great adventures. I love the burr oak (we used to make little people out of those special furry acorns when I was a kid), and the chestnuts (I've never seen them in their green state), and the sweet shop... Belated Happy Thanksgiving - thanks for sharing your trip.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Wow, great work lately. Maybe I'm so impressed because of your subjects, and the depth of them... and colors. Just great Lin. Welcome home.

Brenda Yarborough said...

Wonderful perspective work on this side angle! Love all the colors and the way you've faded/blurred in the interior!! Fantastic job, Lin!!!

Linda said...

I do love candy stores. And you've nailed the darks in that doorway!

sandy said...

Ohhh...gorgeous colors and great comp.

sandy

Anonymous said...

I remeber that...the whiffs get to your nose, long before you get to the shops!
Great sketch
ronell

Deborah said...

Do I smell bubble gum?? or is it just that luscious color of the doors. Great sketch, very fresh and inviting. I want to go inside.

Dana S. Whitney said...

Love this! Loved it even BEFORE I read that it was a candy shop! I must get out somewhere and sketch or paint!